Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I Choose To Be Flattered

This afternoon (after a grocery store run, with both kids in tow) I was sitting at a stop light with the windows (of my minivan) down, unabashedly singing along with the radio when I notice movement to the left...

I stopped singing and looked over at the car next to me, where a guy (boy, really, if you want to get technical) was looking at me... he smiled sincerely and calmly and said "You are gorgeous".  "I just want you to know you are gorgeous."  He didn't laugh, snicker, or anything....

To say I was dumbfounded would be the understatement of the year.

I don't often get compliments like that, and so to get one from a stranger at a stoplight stopped me in my tracks.  I didn't know what to say.  I was embarrassed, and acutely aware that he heard me belting out Rick Astley, and thought about the implications...

A kid, not much past 18.
A middle-aged woman, with a pulled back 'Mom-do'.
A minivan.
Rick. Effing. Astley.

He was making fun of me, it was the only answer.  That, or his friend dared him to say it to the next person at a stoplight... something.

I was embarrassed, probably turned about 17 shades of red, and mumbled "Right.  OK.  Thanks!" and looked away in a hurry.  I was kind of angry.  I was in a great mood, and this little punk was going to ruin it with his misplaced idea of a joke?!

Then I thought "He didn't laugh.  He didn't snicker.  He looked sincere.  WTF, does he have some sort of deviant cougar fetish?"  THE NERVE!

Finally, FINALLY the thought came to me that maybe he was sincere.  Maybe.
I usually only ever get 'cute' as a compliment, but maybe he was serious.

I was in a great mood.
I was wearing flattering clothes.
I was smiling.
I was happy and singing unabashedly.
I am generally kind of cute.

In the end, I choose to be flattered.  I choose to think that 'That little punk' really did have nice thoughts about me - that perhaps my happiness and general sense of well-being maybe made me more attractive than usual.  :)

Yeah.  I choose to be flattered, and think the best of him, and his intentions.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment