Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gotta Run!

So, I'm back on the Couch to 5k wagon.  I say 'back on' because I did it once a couple of years ago, but lost steam after I got very sick that winter, and I never went back to it.  Until now.

My daughter joined Girls On The Run this year, and she needs a 'running buddy'.

I was surprised to find that I wanted to do it.  And I don't want her to be dragging me across the finish line - my goal is simply to be able to KEEP UP with my 8 year-old.  LOL!

I'm not gonna lie... at first I thought "Ugh, not THIS again!"  I never really got that 'running high' people talk about, last time.  It was always a struggle to get up and do it - I definitely didn't look forward to it.  And my first day back at it, I thought I would die.  I got to a point where I thought I couldn't make it any longer, and thought "I must be nearly done" only to hear the perky announcer-lady on the phone app cheerfully say "YOU'RE HALFWAY!"  I wanted to track her down and punch her in the neck.  HALF-EFFING-WAY?!  I'm dying here!

But this time... this time, an amazing thing is happening - I like it.  In a perverse way, I look forward to it.  I know it'll be tough, and it'll kick my butt, but I look forward to it anyway.  And I don't want to punch the announcer-lady in the neck anymore.  This time, I actually think I can DO this!  :D

What's different?  I don't know.  Maybe my motivation?
This time I'm not doing it because I want to look better, I'm not doing it because I think I should, or to placate my husband... I'm doing it because I WANT to, plain and simple.  :)  I think that's the difference - it's for me this time.

Our first 5k is on October 27th... and I'm looking forward to it.  Now, I hope I don't pass out halfway through, or get shamed by a bunch of 8 year-olds.  :D

Wish me luck!  (And pray that I don't die in the process.  LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment