Saturday, September 15, 2012

It's Been A Bad Pet Week :(

It's been a bad week for pets in our family.  :(

My daughter's pet cockroaches got out of control with their breeding, so I had to 'thin the herd', and humanely put down a good number of the little guys.  I wouldn't have thought I'd have trouble doing it, but it wasn't pleasant - I felt really guilty.  :(

On the morning of September 11th, my husband woke up to an awful 'cat present'.  One of the kids must have left the hamster cage unsecured... my little buddy Hamlet got out, and one of the cats decided to actually behave like a cat for once and take him down.  :(  They left his little body right outside our bedroom door.  :(  I loved that little guy....

This morning I noticed one of the cats was acting weird, not moving, and meowing really strangely.  We took her in to the vet when my husband noticed that her feet were cold, and she was dragging herself with the upper part of her body - she'd lost the use of her back legs.  The vet said she had heart problems and that it had caused a blood clot rendering her unable to walk, and cutting off circulation to her back legs.  Her heartbeat was erratic and her breathing labored.  We chose to have her put to sleep.  :(  But it didn't end there.  The poor kitty's circulation was suffering so much that her heart couldn't pump the meds through her body - it wasn't working.  They had to give her another shot in the chest, closer to the heart.  It was traumatic for me, even though I thought I was prepared... she was 13 years old.

It's definitely been a tough week.
Man, it's gotta get better from here, right?

The guilt is killing me.
I was implicated in every one of these deaths.  I put the cockroaches down.  If I'd only checked the cage one more time before I went to bed, Hamlet wouldn't have died.  I helped make the decision to put Ariel to sleep....  I really feel sad and guilty about my role in all this.  :(

Totally bummed today.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment