Monday, July 2, 2012

Rantings Of The Sleep-Deprived

I can't sleep.  I lay there and tried for a long time, but it's just not coming.

The problem is that I can't seem to shut my mind down.  No matter what I do, it persists in wandering, recollecting, circling around and around.... I hate when this happens, because when I eventually run out of random minutiae to revisit, my mind usually just INSISTS that it needs to go over things that just shouldn't be visited - especially not at 11:30 pm.  Then I DEFINITELY can't sleep.

Vicious cycle.  *sigh*

So here I sit, typing in the middle of the night, hoping it will clear my mind enough to eventually catch some sleep.  The middle of the night is a lonely place when you don't want to be awake, and you can't stop thinking.

I could get these things off my chest here, in the dark, and it would feel very good... but in the morning I'll wake up, and they'll still be here in black and white, exposed to (potentially) everyone I ever knew.  Bad idea.  So I will keep it where it likely belongs, and prattle about a more palatable subject matter.

The weather's been lovely.
I know I'm probably one of very few who feel this way when the thermometer edges past 100 degrees, but I just adore summer.  I guess it is a throwback from childhood... it was my favorite then, for obvious reasons, and I just never outgrew it.

So, it's been crazy-hot here (108 the other day), and I've been spending a lot of time with my best friend and her son.  We took the kids to Steele Creek campground on Friday and played, picnicked, and lounged about in the baking sun for 5 hours straight.  I suppose its a forgone conclusion that I'm now sunburned, no? 

Yesterday we hit up Discovery Place with the kids, then had a bit of a cook-out at my place... I made white sangria (yum!) and we dug out the photo albums and some of my old journals.  Oh, boy!  Why do women always get so nostalgic when we drink?

Today I took the kids and dog to the Schiele Museum to walk the trail... it went surprisingly well, given how hot it was (105).  Later the kids and I trekked down to the creek in our neighborhood, and they had a grand time splashing around, finding cool rocks, and attempting to catch minnows.

The weekend went by in such a blur... I can't believe we're back around to Monday again!  AND... AND it's July already?  WTF, where did June go?!  When I was a kid, a day seemed to last forever... summer lasted forever, and time just seemed to crawl.  Now it moves at the speed of light, and I'm panicking a little - a year passes in the blink of an eye.

It occurred to me when I was lying in bed (not sleeping) that tomorrow (probably today, by the time I'm done) is July 2.  I know that means nothing to others, but it does to me.  Again I say, lord... where does the time go?!

I know I've been up way too long now, because I'm starving again.  I saw a Cracker Barrel ad on FB yesterday, and have been desperately wanting it since then.  I will have to put that craving to rest sometime this week, I believe.  Hmm.  I don't think I had dinner, which may account somewhat for my ravenous hunger.

Ah well, I am well and truly prattling now, so it's probably time to shut up.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment