Monday, April 2, 2012

Things My Kids Will Never Get (aka: Reminders That I'm Old)

The other night I was waiting in the bathroom to brush teeth and the kids were taking forever (of course!), and so I figure I'm finally just going to have to call someone in, because neither wanted to go first.

Me:  "E.J, come on down!  You're the next contestant on The Price Is Right!"
E:  [arrives with a blank stare on her face]
A:  "WHAT does that mean, Momma?  WHAT are you talking about?"


Kind of sad, isn't it?

By the time I was four, I was a The Price Is Right junkie/guru... there was a serious shortage of 'kid shows' on TV, so we made do.  My kids would whine if I told them to watch it, but when I was their age I couldn't wait for it to come on.  (Hey, I grew up back in the day when cartoons were pretty much only a Saturday morning affair... and then only until 10am.  Also, we never had cable... so no Nickelodeon for me unless I was at my sister's house... when I was there, I gorged on Nickelodeon like a starving dog let loose in a butcher shop.)

I've also been indignantly informed that "That's not my name!" when I bust out with:
"What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?"


*sigh*
Kids today.  They know nothing of good, quality programming.  They don't find it at all amusing when I stumble around and say "It's the big one!  I'm comin' Elizabeth!"


"Kiss my grits."
"No whammy!"
"Danger, Will Robinson!"


All unappreciated.

I try to explain the beauty of these remarks, and tell them about these awesome shows/movies, but they don't care.  It's like talking to a wall... their eyes glaze over, and they eventually interrupt to ask for a popsicle.  Does nobody care what they are missing out on?!

"Bueller?  Bueller...  Bueller?"


No comments:

Post a Comment