Thursday, February 2, 2012

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" - Rolling Stones

When I was little, that song used to infuriate me; mostly because I usually heard it coming from my older sister.  When I threw a fit about something she'd be there to serenade me "You can't always get what you waaaannnt..."

Yeah.  It pissed me off just a wee bit.
It figures that it would become a favorite of mine as an adult.  When you grow up, you realize that truer words were never spoken.  You CAN'T (and definitely don't) always get what you want.

I still want to stomp my feet and pout when I don't get what I want, though, even as an adult.  After all, I know myself best, right?  So what I want is surely what's best for me, no?  Apparently not, because things in life rarely turn out the way I think they should, or the way I want them to.  And yet, even though I know that things almost always turn out positively in the end, it still irritates me.

I am stubborn. I want things to be the way I planned.  There should be no improvising, and the script should not change (unless I say so).

Life laughs at my arrogance.  It tosses me curve ball after curve ball, so I suppose I should just get with the program and learn to knock them out of the park, huh?  After all, you can't improve if you don't have a challenge, can you?

In retrospect it always comes down to this "If you try sometimes you might find you get what you need".

No comments:

Post a Comment