Friday, February 10, 2012

Thank Goodness For Comic Relief

Sometimes I find myself wishing that this blog was anonymous... that nobody knew the person behind the words, and I could be really, brutally honest.  Sometimes writing here is the only way I stay sane - it takes the place of the journal that I gave up years ago when I got married.  I feel like I must censor myself to a degree, though, and sometimes that sucks.

I am dealing with some pretty heavy anxiety lately.  Enough that, for the first time in my life, I'm experiencing physical symptoms from it.  A nagging sense of fear... like an animal trapped in a corner.  Feeling like I'm crawling out of my own skin, palpitations, a jittery feeling.  Things haven't been easy lately, and emotionally it's been a nightmare.  There's so much on my plate right now that the only way I can think to deal with it is to ferry things off to 'boxes' in my head, and shut it down.  It can't be healthy, but it has to be done.  I can only deal with one thing at a time, so I'm 'taking them out' one at a time... this is why my blog might start to read like the rantings of a crazy person.  Bear with me.

Right now there's a lot of grief.  And then there are confusion, stress, and anger all jockeying for their turn.

Thank goodness my kids can always be counted on to provide me with a good, stress-relieving laugh!  Since there's so much I can't openly share, I'm going to share what I can... it just so happens that it's the best stuff anyway, so you're in luck!  :)

My kids crack me up.  They are always saying things that just tickle me.

Anna, for one, does not care to be interrupted, it seems.  Nor does she particularly care to hear your opinion, or for your chosen topics of conversation.  She tends to 'lecture'.  A lot.  She's a little... quirky.

Anna:  "Blah, blah, blah, blah, Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches.  Blah, blah, blah, geodes.  Blah Blah Blah..."
Me (trying to listen patiently):  "Mmmhmmm.  Huh?"  *silence*
*doorbell rings*
Anna (following me to the door, and in an indignant manner):  "I WAS NOT finished with MY conversation."

Oooook.
Chickie just doesn't get that for it to be a 'conversation' two people need to be talking, and interacting reciprocally.  Why, hello Aspergers.  Nice to see you again.

Oh, did I say quirky?  Well sometimes she is less quirky, and more 'secretly training for the special forces'.  Like two days ago when we had the following exchange:

Me:  "Anna, this is the dowel rod for your easel.  Put it back in your room."
Anna (eyes lighting up):  "Oooh.  I can use THIS for a weapon!"

Excuse me?  When did you become a street thug, and/or a second-grade MacGyver?  Note to self:  hide all sharp objects and get a price quote on rubber wall padding.

Ahhh, kids.

Do you remember back in the day, when technology wasn't so ingrained into everyday life?  When you couldn't just press 'skip' to go to the next song (because it was a cassette tape, and you had to fast-forward and hope for the best), when you couldn't remove commercials (via DVR), and 'pause' was a foreign concept?  Yeah.  Me too.  My kids have no concept of this reality, though.

Let me set the scene... it's nearly time to leave for school, and Anna is reading out loud.  Ella is listening intently when I tell them it's time to go.

Me:  "Time to go!  C'mon, let's get in the van!"
Ella:  "Anna, can we pause this?"

LOL!  Basically, can you read the rest to me later.  I found it so funny that my kids are so immersed in technology that they use the terms for absolutely everything.

Oh man.  This just in... the girls are 'playing' together in Anna's room as we speak.  At least, I thought so.  Turns out that now Ella has several new words to add to her "I can spell that!" list.  They are:  doo doo, fart, poop, and crap.  FAN-freaking-TASTIC.

I can't wait until middle school when the 'forbidden words' become much more colorful.  Oy.








No comments:

Post a Comment