Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Busted... Again.

If you have kids, you know the three words that every parent dreads and works very hard to avoid hearing.

"Is Santa real?"  No, not that one... not today anyway.
"I hate you!"   Been there, done that.
"Son of Bitch!"  (said in the voice of the dude learning English on Stripes)  Not yet, but if I don't watch my mouth, it's coming.

Nope.  The phrase I had in mind was [drumroll please]:
"THAT'S NOT FAIR!"

I got that one this morning.
What did I do?  We ate at Taco Bell, and I thought I'd get away with it.
'We' meaning me and Ella.  Alone.  Without Anna.

I broke the Cardinal rule of parenting (as written by kids):  Never (and I mean NEVER) take one kid out for a good lunch when the other is stuck at school eating cafeteria food.  (I think this is a good time to note that kids obviously have a very warped idea as to what constitutes a 'good' lunch.)

I did it, I'm guilty.  Ella was home sick on Monday, and after a visit to the doctor we got lunch from the Taco Bell drive-thru.  We didn't even eat in the building, so it's no big deal, right?  Wrong.  Deep down I knew this, and braced myself for school pick-up, when I just KNEW E would spill the beans.

Nothing.  Very curious....

By the time Tuesday rolled around, I thought I was in the safe zone... I got away with it!  Still no mention of the Taco Bell ace up her sleeve, and I wasn't complaining!  It was a lovely day, and the kids didn't even complain that they didn't get the EXACT SAME THING for Valentine's Day.

I was feeling relieved, and a little awed that it was a non-event.

Obviously the joke was on me.  E was holding out on me... it truly was the ace up her sleeve, and she was waiting for just the right time to pull it out and throw it on the table.  That time was this morning, on the way to school.

E was talking, and when Anna interrupted her one too many times she casually looked over and said:
"Oh, Anna?  Monday when I didn't go to school, me and mommy ate at Taco Bell."

Nooooo!  Doom.

"THAT'S NOT FAIR!"

No comments:

Post a Comment