Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Big Day

I came into an empty room early this morning to wait for my bride to arrive.  I sat for hours waiting, wondering when she would show up, and hold me in her arms for our walk down the aisle.

 I couldn’t wait for our big moment.  I knew she would be resplendent in white, with me nestled in her arms.   My freesia, roses, hydrangeas and peonies add such a gorgeous splash of color.

 You didn’t think I was her husband-to-be, did you?  Oh no, not me… I am not the groom.   I am the most beautiful bouquet you will ever lay eyes on, and was about to be part of a truly lovely, extravagant wedding for the happiest couple you’d ever meet. 

I knew they must be really happy together, because it was going to be one heck of a party!  The room I was in was beautiful, and I saw the church and the cake on the way in.  It was all breathtaking.  Yes, very happy indeed…   I mean, you don’t order a bridal bouquet, and spend thousands and thousands of dollars to celebrate something you aren’t happy about, do you?  Of course not.  They were obviously very, very happy.

This morning it was just me and her.  I watched as she walked around the room, touching her dress and inspecting the flowers… then she plopped into an easy chair, studying a photograph of a very handsome man.  She whispered “I love you.  Always.”  How sweet - she brought a picture of him because she couldn’t see her groom before the wedding!  A little odd, though, that I heard her whisper “Pull yourself together!  They’ll be here any minute!”

 She put the picture away, and started to get ready.

It was so touching.  I was so happy to be a part of such a special day for a couple that much in love!  I got to see it all:  the bridesmaids arriving, the pictures being taken, the bride slipping into her dress and shoes.  Then eventually, she took me in her hands… it was showtime!

I smelled great, and I looked beautiful.  So did the bride, and everyone else.  Waiting right outside the church doors I thought that I couldn’t even imagine how giddy with anticipation she must have been.  Until… until a tear rolled down her face and fell onto me.

She’s was crying, and I had no idea why.

The doors opened, and she walked down the aisle toward her husband-to-be with me clasped in her hands, wondering what was happening, and why humans were so strange.  It didn’t make sense to me, but whatever… I had a job to do, and the groom was standing right in front of us.

The groom.

The groom smiled, and in an instant I was sure I’d never seen this man before.  Not in a picture, or anywhere else.  Yet, she walked over and took his hand.  They spoke their vows, and sealed it with a kiss. 

As they walked down the aisle as husband and wife, I felt another tear fall onto my petals and wondered who the man in the picture was.

(Writing prompt:  Write from the point-of-view of a wedding bouquet)

No comments:

Post a Comment