Thursday, September 22, 2011

Talk About A Sugar High....

The other day, the dog found a treat.  Oh yes she did, and she enjoyed every second of her secret binge.

 Unfortunately I discovered said binge when we came home from a birthday party and found a massive pile of disgusting, curiously-colored puke.  BLECH.  Only... it looked like melted chocolate.

Yep.  We trawled the house and found that one of the kids left some dark chocolate-covered raisins on the floor, and it seems Olive simply couldn't resist.  The temptation was just too much to bear, and she ate a good bit of them....

I was so worried.  SO very worried....  I love my doggie, and I have warned the kids over and over about the dangers of dogs having chocolate.  I hoped she'd be OK, because it looked like she vomited a good bit of what she'd eaten onto my kitchen floor (never thought I'd be HAPPY about dog puke).

As the night wore on, I watched her... she started to shiver violently.  I was in tears, thinking she was a goner.  (There's nothing the vet can do, apparently, but induce vomiting and hope for the best.)  My negative side (that does tend to win a lot) was convinced that my wee furball was dying.  :(

Eventually we went to bed, and I tucked Olive in with Ella.

I'm drifting off to sleep when I hear: 'Thump.  Thump, thump, thump.  BANG!' 

I had no idea what was happening so I'm lying there, frozen with fear, listening...  It's the dog.  The dog apparently has a caffeine/sugar high, and has decided she wants in my room.  NOW. She is repeatedly throwing herself against my bedroom door.

I scold her, and put her back in Ella's room.

Twenty minutes later, I wake with a start.  'Bark.  Bark, bark, bark, BARK!'  

Yep.  Her again.  This time barking at the baby gate to be let into the living room.  I obliged and went back to sleep.

A bit later... 'Scratch.  Scratch.  Scratch.'  I get up and let her out where she proceeds to run around the yard like a madman.  Then, back in.  She wants to play....  Um, no.  It's 10:30, and I want to sleep thankyouverymuch.

I try letting her in my room to sleep.  Ten minutes later... 'Thump, Thump, thump, thump.  BANG!'  Seems she wanted back into Ella's room.  FINE.

Finally at about midnight I was able to fall asleep to the sound of little feet pitter-pattering up and down the hallway and around the house.  The darned dog was HYPER.

No chocolate, ever again.  If it doesn't kill her, I just might!


No comments:

Post a Comment