Friday, January 1, 2010

None Of That Baby Business

Sometimes I have to wonder just where my daughter gets all her ideas.

For instance, we had a very interesting conversation on Wednesday that went a little something like this:

A: Mommy, I'm not EVER going to have a baby.
Me: Why not?
A: Because I don't want to have surgery.
Me: Well, you probably wouldn't have to have surgery. Most women don't need surgery to have a baby.
A: Oh. Well, then, how does the baby get out?

Oh boy. Yes, one of the dreaded questions. (The other being "How did the baby get IN?") I thought about it for a second, and decided to go with frank honesty and gave her the Cliff's Notes version of the miracle of birth.

A:
Oh, so the baby just comes down from the tummy and 'plops' out?
Me: Sort of. (IF ONLY!!)
A: And you have to catch it?
Me: No, you go to the hospital, and the doctor catches it.
A: And cleans it up?
Me: Yes, and cleans it up.

At this point she is satisfied and wanders off to play, break something, harrass her sister... whatever. A few minutes later, though, she's back:

A: I still don't think I want to have a baby, Mom.
Me: Oh yeah?
A: Yeah. I decided I'm going to marry a girl and make HER have the baby.


Smart kid.

1 comment: