Monday, September 14, 2009

A World Without Mommies

A: "There are no Mommas on this show." [said musingly] "Why not?"
Me: "Well, I really don't know why there are no Mommas."
A: "Who feeds them? Who takes care of them? ...Oh well, I guess they just have to take care of themselves." [weary sad sigh]

Sometimes I wonder if my kids even notice me.
I guess that's normal... especially when you spend your days running errands, cleaning and serving meals. Those days stretch into months, and the months stretch into years, and you think if you serve one more piece of string cheese you just might puke.

Sometimes I don't notice myself, so it's not far-fetched to believe at times that my children see right through me (until they want dessert, a treat, or some injustice rectified) as well.

Conversations like that (had after watching "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" on the way home from school) talk me down from my ledge. I don't mean that in a desperate, suicidal way... more in the "I'm crazy with monotony and unappreciation" way that Mothers sometimes feel.

Sometimes a five year-old can know just what to say to make you realize that your existence is noticed, noted, and appreciated in a basic primal way that means everything.

To my daughter, a world without Mommies is a sad, weary place.
I have to agree with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment