Monday, July 6, 2009

The Wedding

So, we spent the 4th of July in Wilmington this year.

Sounds great, doesn't it? I remember previous Independence Day celebrations on the beach... lounging on beach chairs by the ocean at night, red Solo cups (full of delicious adult beverages) in hand waiting for the fireworks to begin. Ah....

This was nothing like that.

This time, we had two preschoolers in tow. Two preschoolers who really like their routine, their beds, their regular 'play and go wild' time. In short, two kids who don't like being cooped up in the car, and take a few days to acclimate to any change in their sleeping accommodations. You can see where this is going, right?

At any rate, the trip can be summed up fairly well in three categories: The good, The Bad, The Ugly, The Funny.

The Good:

I was able to attend the wedding of the lovely Ms. Marcia (now the lovely Mrs. Skinner - sister of one of my best friends). It was beautiful, touching, and I had a great time at the reception. :)

I got to spend time with one of my best friends whom I haven't seen forever! (It was great to see you, Mary Emily!)

I met someone new at the reception whom I really enjoyed talking to, who lives in my area.

I finally (after many, many years) got to meet my sister Kandy on Saturday! We have been in touch for over a year, and it was awesome to see her. :D

The Bad:

The tantrums. Oh holy heaven above, the tantrums....
E was in rare form, and made the rest of us wish we'd never been born - more than once.

I have a paper due tonight. Because of the trip I didn't get to start working on it until - you guessed it - today. Maybe I'll be in luck and my professor will hit the lottery right before class or something....

The Ugly:
The pull-out couch bed. I had to sleep on it one night with a 3 year-old who repeatedly kicked me in the stomach.

The small hotel room. Lack of personal space can make a person feel downright homicidal.

The lack of sleep. Did I mention our kids don't adjust rapidly to change? *yawn*

The Funny:

Thank goodness there was a bit of comic relief here and there to lighten things up.
Anna learns a new word:
A: "Hey, there's Abeck!"
Me: "What, honey? What's Abeck?"
A: "You know, Abeck. The grown-up drink store. We just passed one."
Me: "Huh?"
A: *exasperated sigh* "YOU KNOW, Mommy. Abeck. A-B-C... that spells Abeck. The grown-up drink store."

But anyway...
So, while it was no walk in the park, the weekend definitely had it's moments! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment