Monday, May 11, 2009

The Truth Doesn't Always Set You Free....

Some days my kids can be really cute - they'll say the funniest things that will make me giggle to myself all day, and eagerly re-tell the story.

Today is not one of those days.

We've all heard the stories about embarrassing things that young children say and do... remarking on strangers' hair, face, skin color, odor, etc. But my eldest is nearly five, and frankly, I thought I'd managed to dodge that bullet. Yes indeed, I was feeling a little smug.

Well, today I learned that if you dare to be smug, it will bite you in the ass. And it bit me - hard - when my five year-old pointed at a man and announced loudly (in a PACKED Wendy's) "MOM! Look at that FATTT man!"

I considered what to do for a moment and (after ruling out pretending not to speak English) sheepishly apologized and informed Little Miss Mouthy that it is not nice to make such comments.

Where is that trap door (ala Scooby Doo) when you need it? Because seriously, I just wanted to disappear. I think my face is still a rather unflattering shade of crimson.

Moral of the story? Don't think it (whatever 'it' is) won't happen to you. It will. Oh, it will....

1 comment:

  1. Oh crap! Wow, it's kinda hard to apologize on that one!!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    What a beautiful gift from Anna!! Hehe!!

    ReplyDelete