Saturday, June 21, 2008

Like Pavlov's Dogs...

Kids are so trainable.

No no no... stop laughing. It's true, I swear.
There's just one slight problem - they never 'train' in quite the right way.
They generally 'train' in a way that will
a) embarrass you
b) mortify you
c) crack you up.

You all know what I'm talking about.
They are like Pavlov's dogs... only in a perverse backwards way, specifically designed for maximum humorous/embarrassing impact.

Case in point:
Several weeks ago, we had to have some electrical work done.
At 9am, the doorbell rings, and my oldest daughter (just shy of 4 years old) rushes to answer the door. I round the corner just in time to hear her say to the electrician "Hey, man! You got a pizza for us?"

Yeah. She did.
I think we eat too much takeout. Just a hunch.

Like a cuter version of Pavlov's dogs, she assumes that any time the doorbell rings and there's a stranger on the doorstep, they will have pizza for us.

All that was missing was a collar and a string of saliva grazing the floor.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,

    I really enjoy reading about your exploits with my two nieces! You should be writing columns for the Gazette (that's a compliment). See you around.

    Your big brother,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete